Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Dilemma


The girls were rejecting Rob, but I didn't have the heart to send him back to his foster family because they were intending to re-home him in another huge household (4 cats and 1 working human being). Instead of returning him, and much to D's horror, I found another kitten with whom he could play and fight.  

8-week-old Luke (short for Luciano) was among a litter of 4 that a family was trying to get rid of as quickly as they could, and the one with the saddest eyes. He was almost an immediate hit with the girls and with Rob.

And I was happy. 

But Ali wasn't. While she had no problem ignoring Luke's existence all together, she couldn't stand the sight of Rob. Seeing him roam freely in the house drove her up the wall and would almost always send her attacking her sisters viciously. Poor Albertina took the worst beating, and soon turned aggressive towards the others. It was total chaos. 

Giving Rob up was an option I had to explore again. And I sounded his foster out while still working on ways to calm Ali down (the entire first level was opened up giving everyone an additional 1000 plus square feet of breathing space; new trees and toys and litter boxes were thrown in to complete the package. I even toyed with the idea of finally allowing the girls access to the outdoor yard which leads up to the roof terrace but decided that that would be an utterly irresponsible thing to do). 

Rob's foster mum was furious, as I expected.  What I wasn't aware of though, was that the family that had initially wanted to take Rob was a friend of hers, and that when told they couldn't have him after all was so disappointed the foster mum had to take 2 personal trips to send in cartons of canned food to make up for going back on her words.

I felt terrible for having caused Rob's foster mum so much trouble. On the day that we were supposed to bring Rob to his new adopter's, I was informed an hour before the meeting that Rob was going to have not just 1, but 4 playmates, and that the adopter could only afford the time to feed kibbles. I broke into tears, and D reacted immediately, as he always does whenever I start bawling, by calling off the meeting and insisting on keeping Rob permanently. Rob's foster mum decided to stick her neck for us, and told her friend that Rob was better off staying put at ours. 

So, I understand her frustration and rage. 

Guilt almost made me withdraw my second request to have Rob re-homed. Given a choice, I wouldn't want him sent away anyway. He is one sweet kitty without the attitudes that British Shorthairs are well-known for. I have been in emotional pain everyday over cat issues since Alberto left, and dying to know the reason for such sufferings.

Rob's foster mum has given me til this weekend to make a final decision. And this time, I would know better than to ask where Rob is going if I decide to give him up. 

Just the thought of putting Rob in his carrier could make me cry, but Ali's hiding out in dark corners throughout the day to avoid Rob sends me to tears too. 

So yes I am really torn.

I am still holding my 6A short, and starting to wonder what got into me. 

Luke









 Rob




 Rob and Foster Mum

Rob and Luke



Share |

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, is there a "Cat Whisperer" type of person/service in your area who could help determine/resolve the point of conflict between Ali and Rob?

Jules said...

:-) I am the only cat whisperer I know, Soullfire.